Saturday, March 7, 2009

Beauty vs Prettiness Part 1

It's been a while since the time I decided to write about these thoughts of mine regarding to this rather universal issue- Beauty (vs prettiness). I have been postponing to elaborate them on my blog for some reasons (including midterms, reasonable enough right?).

Couple of months ago I started reading a book I bought at a library in Columbus (I went there with you ko Bud, remember?! :) that I haven't manage to finish (as always..). Cannot recall the title or the author but I remember a quote saying: Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I do agree. I agree that it is true. Yet I do agree that to bring such belief into practice is not a cup of tea. It is neither as easy nor as enjoyable as eating chili (for a chili freak like moi). Especially for girls, I'd say. In almost every society, regardless of race and tradition, females are often associated with prettiness. Disagree I do not, though I think most people seldom remember to correlate females with beauty- an aspect that, I believe, gives females their true values for being a woman.

It is still crystal clear in my mind how amazed I was to witness such breath taking view.

That night was the night after the snow storm, the bloody freezing week of +/- -5F. Some classes were canceled. None of mine was, too bad. Even worse, I still went to work in the library. The fact that snow and I aren't good friends is a public secret, I guess (my peeps are proly fed up w/ my complaints about how much I hate snow by now!). To have to still go working that night wasn't really pleasing and resulted in me regretting my decision to take the ten-to-midnight shifts on Mondays and Wednesdays. Ahhh, I hate snow and the cold weather. I hate it when it's so cold that I couldn't feel my nose anymore. As always, when the clock hits midnight,I would rush my way back to the dorm while listening to my iPod and quietly humming the songs. But that night, I was enchanted!

Twigs were frozen, leaves were elegantly rigour. The winter buds looked like sugar-coated red lollipops.Plus the not-so-bright yellow light from the postlamps, landed on them. Make the trees look like fairies wearing shimmering gowns. I was like, in the wonderland! Really, the rather ugly old postlamps were doing their best job that night. The trees were flickering and I was enchanted! I stopped walking and decided to watch a long branch that was bent, almost touching the ground, because of holding the heavy ice. It was tres belle! I touched the cold silky ice coated branch. My fingers were carefully exploring the frozen twigs, trying not to break any of them. I must look goofy for doing that. But no one was around anyway. So, yea, that was the first time I liked snow.lol. More that that, I learned an important lesson: just like snow that has always been my enemy could create such wonderful view, there's always a bright side of anything if I want to walk side by side with this someone called positive-minded.

I was glad that God, through nature, reminds me that being a moaner will never do me any good. Although, that was not the only lesson I drew from that captivating night. For some random reasons, I came up with thoughts about beauty and how it is different from being pretty.

Let's talk about that on a new post! Next..
(did not expect the interlude would be this long. lol)

No comments: