Saturday, November 15, 2008

A discourse on aiming for heaven and maintainng joy in one's heart

Yesterday I talked to Ko Bud over the phone for a while. He mentioned about his plan to go to NYC right after thanksgiving retreat. That sounds cool to me since going to NYC is one of the holiday destinations in my must-do-before-going-back-to-Indo-forgood list. But I came up with a disagreement with him when he said that he might be going there by himself. I was kind of insisting that going to a place for holiday without any friend is rather unpleasant and less meaningful. When it comes to traveling, to me, what matters the most is not where I am going but with who I am going. Although, when he said that he might spend the whole time in NYC exploring museums, I then showed some compromises.

Today, I was surprised by my Bible reading. It is on Revelation 22:6-17, which emphasizes so much on what it means to aim for heaven as our final destination. Is it the glory of heaven that foreground my intention to experience heaven? Is it plainly because I am avoiding the burning hell? Or is it something else? What is my motivation (behind all the good deeds I do) in achieving heaven?

Just like my believe in what is most important about a holiday, I think it is the same case to a newly wed couple in planning their honeymoon. They might get busy and excited with all the brochures and websites that offer them all the great honeymoon destinations but overall it is not so much about the place; it's about being with the person you love! :) We got used to places no matter how glorious they are. But being with a person who loves us and whom we love never gets old!

Such intentions like mine and the newly wed couple's (about having holidays/ honeymoon) is the kind of intention one should have toward 'heaven as the final holy destination'. Heaven is, undeniably, an incredible place beyond our dreams. But the greatest joy to be in heaven will be the experience to be with Jesus FOREVER! Could you imagine how marvelous and fascinating it would be to see Jesus, someone who died for us and who unconditionally loves and care about us, face to face? To spend eternity with Jesus is the greatest aspect of heaven!

I believe that the connection between my light chat with Ko Bubud last night and my Bible reading this morning is not just simply a coincident. Instead, I believe it happened by God's will- so I can have a better comprehension of what He wants to tell/ teach me through my today's Bible reading.

To be reminded again about the right aim to experience heaven also reminds me about what I should endeavor to achieve in my life as a Christian, whom believe in Jesus more than just as a God who rules but also as an Abba Father who loves me eternally PLUS unconditionally. In dealing with this life, of which is full with uncertainties, I should not focus too much on the blessings He gives me. Instead, I should focus more on Him- the SOURCE OF MY BLESSINGS. The capability of applying such simple yet important ideology will not only lead me into becoming a wiser person in interpreting any events that happen in my life, but also will aid me in sustaining the joy in my soul.

Possessing a rather brittle heart, Joy is what I need to survive in this challenging world. I accept as true that a true joy is a gift from God. Nonetheless, just like any other gift would decrease in value if we did not take a good care of it, the joy in our hearts could decay as well. We need to act to uphold the joy in our heart. Through the help of the Holly Spirit and our acts, the sustainability of the true joy will remain unshaken.

No comments: